Monday 27 April 2015

HA8 Task 7

Evaluation: 

During unit 66, we were tasked with designing and modelling our very own robot sidekick companion using the "Lightwave modelling software". We began this project with a series of video tutorials which took us through the basic tools required to create our own models, using these we created the "Lightbot Model".



Before we could design our robot, we had to sketch the robot out on a piece of paper. We also had to research design ideas and create a mood board to get some inspiration for our robot. Another thing we did was draw out an ideas map to get an insight into how our robot can function and what he had to offer. This helped us to design our robot as we knew what our robot had to look like. To design my bot, I designed mine based on a robot called 'Noisy Boy', from a film called Real Steel. 'Noisy Boy' is a robot that's based on a samurai, and was designed and build in Japan. 




It was quite a difficult task to design my robot as there were so many components and parts that had to be drawn out to make the sketch look as detailed and accurate as possible. 

With the sketches complete, I knew exactly how I wanted to model my robot. I was not very confident with the software at first as it seemed a bit confusing, but the more I used it, the better I became with it and the easier it was for me to use it as I knew many shortcuts. I didn't have much time on my hands though as I was a little behind, so when it came to modelling it, I was unable to add extra detail so instead was left with a plain model with different colors. 

I also needed some help from my tutor as I was unaware of how to make my model a 3D model. With the help of the tutor, I was back on track and continued to model my robot. 

After assigning surfaces to the model, I was able to take my model into the "Lightwave Scene editor" within this programme, using the surfaces I had assigned, I was able to recolour and add texture to my model. This made my model look less dull and made it look better and more detailed, so the finished product of my robot looked a lot better than if it had no colour.

Using the play-head and the camera, I set up some key frames and took some rendered shots of my finished model. I uploaded these to my blog as evidence that I had done this. 








No comments:

Post a Comment